My word for this year is LEARN.
So it just makes sense to use this Year of Sundays to reflect on 52 of my most significant Life Lessons. Some may seem more significant than others, but each one has changed how I live my life in powerful way. I’d love to hear if and how any of these same lessons have surfaced in the classroom of Your Life.
So Tom and I recently returned from a long-awaited vacation. We love to head for The Hills this time of year. Tom found us a fabulous cabin in the north Georgia mountains. We had plans. We were psyched.
The first couple of days were perfect. Then came Tom’s shortness of breath and whack-o heartbeat. For those of you who don’t know Tom, he is an almost disgustingly healthy 67 year-old man. He was a runner for years and now walks 20+ miles a week. He eats right and gets regular check-ups. So seeing HIM experiencing these spooky symptoms was NOT what either of us expected.
He finally agreed to let me take him to the ER and was subsequently admitted to the local (25 bed) hospital with the diagnosis of atrial fibrillation. In addition to the overall diagnosis, here’s what else I didn’t expect:
- the level of compassionate, generous and professional care he received at this small, rural hospital;
- the cardiologist who treated Tom is one of the most respected docs in Atlanta;
- unlimited free Starbucks coffee (for me, not Tom);
- that it’s possible to spend two days of an eight day vacation in a hospital room – remembering it’s still a vacation; and
- getting to see Amicalola Falls the day after he was released.
I’m a pretty grateful person, but mostly, I didn’t expect the overwhelming gratitude I’m feeling these days.
What have your expectations taught you lately?